My good friend who lives in Toronto was approaching her birthday and I wanted to send over some cookies. I made her these pretzel banana chip cookies last year, but wanted to send her a new spin on her favorite – the butter cookie! What says celebration more than sprinkles and a cake? I decided to add sprinkles in the batter and use a tiered cake cookie cutter for the shape. These should ship well, plus the cookies taste better after a few days. It’s fun sending her little packages. I hope she’s surprised!
Check out the verdict at the end of the post!
Funfetti Art Birthday Butter Cookies
½ cup salted butter, softened
½ cup + 2 Tablespoons sifted icing sugar
1 Tablespoon vanilla syrup
½ an egg
1¼ cups flour
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 Tablespoon sprinkles
1. With a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
2. Beat in vanilla syrup and eggs.
3. Whisk flour and baking soda in a bowl. Gradually add into butter mixture.
4. Mix in sprinkles (10 seconds).
5. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 3 hours or overnight.
To bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
6. Take a small portion of the dough and roll out to 1/8 inch thick and cut out using cookie cutters. Only roll out small portions of the dough at a time as re-working the dough will make the colours of the sprinkles bleed and turn the dough grey.
8. Place on a baking sheet and bake for about 8 minutes, or until the edges are slightly golden. Cool on rack.
Verdict: I super liked how the sprinkles created streaks in the dough when I rolled it out! It reminded me of ’80’s designs! Kind of art-y. These are my all-time favorite cookies, and they did not disappoint as usual. Buttery with nice vanilla aroma. My friend was surprised by and enjoyed the package! Success!