Sunday 24 July 2011

Strawberry Banana Ice Pops


The boyfriend loves “popsicles” (I guess I should refer to them as ice pops).  Apparently, 2 ice pops a day keeps the belly away (he says this about doughnuts too).  But he buys those plain ice pops that are basically sugar water with artificial flavoring and colour – you know the ones…they come in grape, orange, and cherry flavors.  So I made these fruit and yogurt ones that are way more nutritious (and tastier) than those sticks of frozen sugar.  You get your vitamin C from the strawberries, potassium from the bananas, and calcium from the yogurt! Seriously, those store bought ones can’t compete!

Check out the verdict at the end of the post!

Strawberry Banana Ice Pops
Makes 4.

Ingredients
1 heaping cup of strawberries
½ cup of yogurt
2 Tablespoons agave syrup (or honey, maple syrup, or nothing)
½  banana

Directions
1.       Blend strawberries and 1 Tablespoon of agave syrup (if using) in a blender or food processor.
2.       In a small bowl, stir the yogurt with 1 Tablespoon of the strawberry puree and 1 Tablespoon of agave syrup.
3.       Fill ice pop molds with strawberry puree and yogurt (alternating to make layers) and slices of bananas and strawberries.
4.       Insert sticks and freeze for 4 hours or until frozen.  Run under hot water to release.

Before freezing



Verdict:   These were very tasty!  So worth the 2 seconds it takes to make them!  We joked about how I can sell them at the local farmer’s market and make a killing – a vendor was selling natural fruit ice pops at the farmer’s market for $4 a pop!!!! Really?!!

24 comments:

  1. These are so pretty! Love the swirls and the pieces of banana...no store bought pop could every look so nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look gorgeous, almost like an arty collage! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! I will try this today :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just made these - so easy! I altered the recipe a bit to accommodate my family's tastes. Used stevia instead of agave and only sweetened the greek yogurt. I also used blueberries instead of bananas. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Thank you for the great idea - will be making these all summer long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Great idea with the greek yogurt! Hope it tastes great!

      Delete
    2. I have a question with this recipe. It calls for 1 heaping cup of strawberries, which you put in a blender. Then in the end it says put strawberry slices into molds. Does that mean to blend the entire 1 cup of strawberries, and slice an additional amount of strawberries? Or only blend most of them, and slice a few from the cup?

      Delete
  5. I have a question with this recipe. It calls for 1 heaping cup of strawberries, which you put in a blender. Then in the end it says put strawberry slices into molds. Does that mean to blend the entire 1 cup of strawberries, and slice an additional amount of strawberries? Or only blend most of them, and slice a few from the cup?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sliced a few extra berries to put in the molds.

      Delete
    2. Okay. I'm going to make them right now, look so good! Thank you :)

      Delete
  6. They look delicious, and easy! A healthy and easy alternative to calorie laden ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just made a batch of these...they look YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy. Have to try these. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. can you use lemon juice on the banana slices before putting in the mold so they don't turn brown?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, good idea! I'm sure that would work!

      Delete
  10. Hi, thanks for the great recipe! Can I ask you where did you purchase the ice pop molds? i'm having a hard time finding them. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found my molds at the dollar store. If you're in Canada, I've seen them at Superstore/Loblaws too. Otherwise I'd check Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, I am so glad to have found your blog post. I saw the exact same photographs on Facebook but it has no recipe that comes along with it. I am sure to try making these ice pops!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi!! Just to let you know that there is a cooking/recipes FB Page in Spanish that is posting 90% of its content from American blogs and FB Pages. This woman posts recipes (translated in Spanish) and photos (she even edits them if they have a logo) as if they were hers. She gives no credit and no link of the original author.

    Several colleagues and myself have done the fastest and easiest action which is reporting her directly to FB for plagiarism.

    This is the link where she copys your recipe:
    https://www.facebook.com/133185710202964/photos/a.181504798704388.1073741865.133185710202964/156567161198152/?type=1&theater

    In this industry, we have to watch each others backs so that these people don't steal our work and property. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  14. The FB page is called Intercambio de Recetas

    ReplyDelete
  15. Huuuum !!! Ça m'a l'air bon tout ça. Je pense que je vais tester et pas que pour mes petits loups... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so glad somebody finally put some ice pops on that don't have a whole lot of calories I am a diabetic and I'm trying to keep my weight down which I need to lose a whole lot and I can't have potassium so I'll be switching your fruit up from bananas but other than that this will be really looks good and I'm going to try it thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice One !! So Classy and easy ingredient of Strawberry ice cream. Thank you https://besticeshaver.com/how-to-clean-portable-ice-maker/

    ReplyDelete