My friends and I were going to Las Vegas for a double bachelorette party and I wanted to make us something fun to snack on during the ride to the airport. I decided on fortune cookies since I could write fun “fortunes” for all the gals. I also wanted them to be pretty, so I experimented with sprinkles. They were fun cookies that hyped-up the anticipation for the upcoming weekend of partying!
Fortune Cookies with Sprinkles
Makes 24 cookies
Adapted from here.
Adapted from here.
¼ cup + 1 teaspoon butter
3.5 egg whites
¾ cup + 1 Tablespoon + 2 teaspoon sugar
¾ cup + 1 Tablespoon + 2 teaspoon sifted all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
2 Tablespoons + 1.5 teaspoon cream
3-4 Tablespoons water
¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
Write “fortunes” on small slips of paper (6.5 cm x 1 cm ish)
1. Preheat oven at 380 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Grease baking sheet with oil.
3. Melt butter in the microwave.
4. In a bowl, beat egg whites and sugar on medium speed for 30 seconds.
5. Beat in four and salt.
6. Beat in the melted butter, cream, and vanilla extract.
7. Beat in 3-4 Tablespoons of water to thin out batter.
8. Pour 1 tablespoon of the batter onto the baking sheet (4 in total max. I found that 3 was better). With a spoon, spread batter into a thin circle.
9. Sprinkle decorative sprinkles onto the circles.
10. Bake for about 5 minutes (until edges are golden).
11. Slide a spatula under a cookie and flip onto a tea towel or cutting board. Place a “fortune” in the middle of the cookie.
12. Fold one end over and press onto the other end (covering the “fortune”).
13. Press ends together over the edge of a cup to make the classic Fortune Cookie shape.
14. Place in a muffin tin to keep its shape as it cools.
Note: Forming the cookie (step 11-13) should be done quickly, before the cookie hardens.
Using cotton gloves will ensure that your fingers do not get burned!
|Cotton gloves and pre-written "fortunes"|
|Step 1: Place fortune in the middle of cookie|
|Step 2: Fold cookie over fortune|
|Step 3: Fold cookie over cup rim to make classic shape|
|Step 4: Place cookie in muffin pan to cool|