Sunday 26 June 2011

Apricot Almond Meal Muffins


I had almond meal in the fridge (apparently, you’re supposed to keep it in the fridge due to its high protein level) that I wanted to use up.  I also had some agave nectar that I recently picked up (on sale!) as I’d always been curious to how it works in baking.  I also had some apricots…and extra flax meal.  See where this is going? A baking session that used ingredients that I already had and wanted to use up!   The result was muffins that are not too sweet and very filling.  Nice with jam.


Apricot Almond Meal Muffins
Inspired from here.
Makes 6 muffins.

Ingredients
1 cup almond meal
¼ cup flax meal
¼ teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs – room temperature
¼ cup melted butter – cooled
2 Tablespoons agave nectar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
2 Tablespoons juice (I used pineapple, but any juice would work)
3 Apricots – 6 slices and ½ cup of diced

Directions
1.       Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Fill muffin tin with cups or oil and flour to prevent sticking.
2.       In a small bowl, whisk almond meal, flax meal, and baking soda. Set aside.
3.       In a larger bowl, beat eggs with butter, agave nectar, vanilla, apple cider vinegar, and juice.
4.       Mix in the dry ingredients until combined.
5.       Add the diced apricots.
6.       Fill muffin tins with batter and top with apricot slices.
7.       Bake for 17 minutes. Let cool in baking pan for about 15 minutes before removing.





Verdict: Agave nectar seems like a versatile ingredients that can be used to naturally sweeten many dishes.  I am looking forward to experimenting with it some more!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Erica, I came across your blog whilst searching for alternative flours to wheat.

    I do not have an intolerance to gluten but my mother does so like to whip up some tasty treats for her for afternoon tea.

    I was really surprised at how good these muffins tasted and love how healthy they are. 6 muffins are the perfect amount to gobble up! Thanks for introducing me to almond meal!

    Bec :)

    ReplyDelete