Hello and welcome!
The long anticipated blog (at least by my friends) is finally here! So, what to post first? I went with a simple strawberry pavlova.
Adapted from here.
½ cup sugar
¾ teaspoon cornstarch
3 egg whites
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
Pinch of salt
¾ teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees
2. In a small bowl, stir together sugar and cornstarch
3. In a large bowl, combine egg white, cream of tartar, and salt. Beat at low speed for 2- 3 minutes.
4. Gradually add the sugar/cornstarch mixture while beating at an increased speed.
5. Add vanilla, and continue to beat until you get stiff peaks (4-5 minutes).
6. Lay parchment paper or silicone mat onto a cookie sheet.
7. Spoon meringue onto lined cookie sheet to make six, 3.5 inch diameter circles
8. With a spoon, make an indentation in the middle of each meringue
9. Bake at 275 on middle rack for 50 minutes.
10. After 50 minutes, turn off heat and let the meringues sit in the oven for 30-45 minutes.
Note: Check on them from time to time – the final product should have an outside shell that is a little stiff but gives the impression of a softer middle when pushed. A very slight tan is acceptable, but not any darker, in which case, lower your oven temperature to 250.
|Sugar and cornstarch|
|After inital beating of 2-3 minutes|
|Meringue shells before baking|
|Baked meringue shells|
Strawberry Compote Ingredients
About 1 cup chopped strawberries
½ cup fruit juice
1. To make compote, combine strawberries and juice into small saucepan and bring to a boil.
2. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until desired consistency
To combine, spoon compote on top of meringue. Add sliced strawberries.