Saturday 7 January 2012

Fruit Topped (flan-like) Butter Cake


It was my friend Tina’s birthday. I wanted to make her a cake, but she’s not huge on cakes.  Her favorite cakes are the ones with fruit on top because she loves fruit and usually ends up just eating the fruit.  Since she was having a party and I figured not everyone would be happy just eating fruit – can you picture her blowing out a candle in a piece of fruit? I can’t! Plus don’t people super anticipate a delicious cake at a birthday party? I do! – I figured I had to incorporate a cake into the creation. So, I did a thin layer of cake with raspberries throughout, lemon curd (since I had some from my last post), and lots of fruit.  This turned out to be quite flan-like!

Check out the verdict at the end of the post!

Raspberry Butter Cake
Adapted from here.
 
Ingredients
¾ cup + 2 Tablespoon cake flour
¾ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup + 2 Tablespoon butter, softened
½ cup sugar
1 egg
½ teaspoon vanilla bean paste, or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup buttermilk
2 Tablespoon sour cream or yogurt
½ cup berries

Directions
1.       Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2.       Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and set aside.
3.       In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar with a beater until fluffy.
4.       Beat in egg and vanilla.
5.       Mix buttermilk and sour cream or yogurt in a cup.
6.       Mix in flour to egg mixture in 3rds, alternating with milk, starting and finishing with flour.
7.       Fold in berries.
8.       Bake in a 9 inch cake pan for 29 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Before baking.

After baking.

Assembly
1.       Spread lemon curd (or custard) on cake.
2.       Lay out fruits on top in a nice pattern.
3.       Brush on a glaze (I used a store bought glaze – see picture), or heat apricot or apple jelly and use as a glaze.
Store bought glaze.



Verdict: This cake was pretty good and moist.  I’d like to bake it in a loaf pan and try it without the fruit.  It had a really nice vanilla flavor that I think will be delicious on its own.  The birthday girl – as always - picked off and ate the fruit!

2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious. Would love for you to share your pictures with us over at foodepix.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great :)

    ReplyDelete