Tuesday 13 December 2011

2 Types of Rice Crispy Squares


When my colleague told me that her mom made rice crispy squares with Mars chocolate bars, I had to make them!  She melted the Mars bars before adding the cereal, but I decided to cut them into chunks and disperse them throughout the squares.  I have also wanted to try making browned butter rice crispy squares, so I thought I would make these too, and bring them for my colleagues at work.

Check out the verdict at the end of the post!



Browned Butter Rice Crispy Squares
Adapted from here. http://ricekrispies.ca/cgi-bin/rk_ca_2007/recipe.pl?id=14

Ingredients
¼ cup butter
5 cups mini marshmallows
1 ½  teaspoons vanilla syrup
6 cups puffed rice cereal
*For a chewier square, double the butter if browning

Directions
1.       In a large pot, melt and brown butter (i.e., cook until it browns and smells like toffee) over medium-low heat.
2.       Stir in marshmallows until melted.
3.       Stir in vanilla.
4.       Take off the heat and add puffed rice cereal. Stir until well coated.
5.       Press into a pan, and cool before cutting.


Mars Bar Rice Crispy Squares
Recipe is the same as above plus 4 Mars bars, cut into chunks.
Stir in the chopped Mars bars after adding the puffed rice cereal.

Chopped Mars Bars




Verdict: Both these squares were very tasty! My colleagues seemed very pleased!  I liked the way you get a chunk of the chocolate bar with some bites of the square.

I would recommend doubling the butter if you are going to brown it as a lot of it evaporates during the process.  This will make a chewier square.



No comments:

Post a Comment